Research Databases for All Subjects
These sites are great places to start looking for information. To search a database from home, click on the "Search From Home" icon and type in the number from your OCLN library card
Research Databases - Access to general-interest, academic, business, market-research and health-related articles. To search click on the yellow icon and log in with the number from your OCLN library card (no spaces).
Provided by the Massachusetts Library & Information Network
Homework Help 9-1-1 - Find resources from the Massachusetts Library Community. Information is available on Massachusetts history, historical photographs and many research databases useful for many subjects.
English / Writing
- Citing Electronic Resources
- Citing Other Sources (Films, Maps, Photos, etc.)
- Contemporary Literary Criticism & Authors
- How to Do a Bibliography (MLA Style)
History / Geography / Cultures
- Egypt: Land of Pharaohs Power Point Study Guide
- Egyptian History
- Pyramids - The Inside Story
- Guardian's Sphinx
- The Rosetta Stone - For information about Hieroglyphics
- Sample Hieroglyphics
U.S. History, Geography & Cultures
- American Civil War
- American Civil War Medicine
- American Exploration & Settlement
- Bill of Rights
- Columbus and the Discovery of America
- French and Indian Wars
- Native Americans - First Nations History (U.S. & Canada)
- Maya, Aztec, Inca History
- Primary Sources
- Salem Massachusetts Witch Trials
- Spanish-American War
- State Facts
- Thirteen colonies
- U.S. Facts
- U.S. History
- U.S. Documents
- Iraq War
- War in Afghanistan
- Vietnam War - Timeline
- Vietnam War - Overview
- Vietnam War - The Wall
- Vietnam War History
- Year by Year 1900-2008
National History Day
Debate & Diplomacy in History: Successes, Failures, Consequences
Make your NHD project a success with these links!
National History Day Project Research Sites
- American Memory Collection
The Library of Congress has collected digitized primary source material on many different historical topics.
- Avalon Project
Yale Law School's online collection of primary source documents by time period from all around the world, from ancient documents to 21st-century ones.
- Landmark Supreme Court Cases
Resources and activities related to many important Supreme Court cases.
- Making of America
The University of Michigan's digital library of primary sources in American social history from pre-Civil War through Reconstruction.
- NARA Online Exhibits
The U.S. National Archives & Records is another good source for primary source material and images.
- National History Day
See the National History Day site for contest details and information on this year's winning projects.
- 100 Milestone Documents
Digital versions of documents important to U.S. history, such as The Emancipation Proclamation, the Civil Rights Act, and the Voting Rights Act.
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
Searchable online database of patent and trademark information.
- Global Warming
- EPA Climate Change
- Human Anatomy
- Periodic Table
Science Fair Help Teens
Before choosing a topic, it’s a good idea to get some background on the idea of scientific method to help you plan your project.
What is the scientific method?
If you need some help thinking of a topic, these sites can give you some ideas:
- Agricultural Ideas for Science Fair Projects
- Falmouth High School Science Fair Primer
- or http://users.rcn.com/tedrowan/moreideas.html
- Science Fair Central, by the Discovery Channel
- Science Fair Project Resource Guide, Internet Public Library
- Science Fairs, by the Eastern Newfoundland Science Fairs Council in Canada
Now that you’re ready to start, these sites can help direct you through the project:
If you have questions along the way, you might find the answer you need in the archives of these sites. If your question hasn’t been asked before, ask a scientist yourself!
Science Fair Help for Kids
- Reeko's Mad Scientist Lab
- Science Fair Primer
- Science Fair Project Steps
- Science Fair Site
- Science Fairs Homepage
- Science Hobbyist
- The Ultimate Science Fair Resource